Thursday, November 21, 2013

Round Table-November


This month for Round Table, I decided that since I was teaching for December I would show a few fun things the boys could do that would pass off a few achievements and electives.


The first thing I taught was my Santa Advent Calendar, this is something that I have made for the last 2 or 3 years and they love it.


This will pass off  Wolf A5d, 5e and Bear A20a, 10b

Here is what you will need for each one.
  • 2x4
  • 24 nails
  • Wrapped lifesavers(24 for each boy)
  • Paint-red, flesh color
  • Googly eyes
  • Medium-large red pom-pom
  • Batting
  • hot glue gun
1.Cut each 2 x 4 to 36"  now you need to cut an angle on either side of one end to form the "hat" (each side of the hat measures just over 3 1/2").

2.Have the boys sand the board then using a pencil  mark off the area they will paint flesh color ( I just free handed it)

3.Paint the rest of the board red. Once that dries have them paint the face using the flesh color. 

4.While you are waiting for the board to dry start cutting your beard, mustache, pom-pom, and brim out of batting. I just cut a shape that I thought resembled the beard and mustache and a circle for the pom-pom on top of the hat.  If you want you can use these kits HERE to make the face.

5. Glue your face on. I start with the pompom, the the band, then move on from there, but however you want to do it will work. 

6. From the bottom of the board measure up 1 inch and put a dot in the center, this will be your first nail hole. Now move up your board in 1 inch increments until you have made 24 marks.

7. Have each boy start hammering in his nails. Remember to pass of A5d they need to demonstrate how to use a hammer and take out a nail, so I have them pound in their first nail and then take it out. Then they can hammer all the nails into the board. 

8. now poke individually wrapped lifesavers on each nail.(I poke mine on just puncturing the back plastic not all the way through). 

Send them home with the boys and let them enjoy. 



***ANY OF THE FOLLOWING PROJECTS WILL PASS OFF WOLF E9b, 9c


This is our snowman ice melt container that I have the boys make then take to a neighbor or elderly person in the neighborhood. I fill a gallon sized zip lock with the ice melt and then put it into the can, this way it is less messy as the boys take them home.  

Here is what you will need to make one-
  • #10 can
  • White Spray paint(optional)
  • Felt-orange(nose), black(mouth)
  • Large googly eyes
  • Fleece for hat- I would suggest you cut your felt before hand so it is straight (I don't have a measurement for this I just guessed)
  • Gallon size ziplock bags
  • ice melt


These are cute and so simple for the boys to do. 

Snowman popcorn wrapper-
  • http://www.whimsiedoodles.com/freebies.html  (scroll down towards the bottom of the page it will be on the right hand side) this link will let you download the black and white version. I used photoshop to fill it in with color.
  • Microwave popcorn
  • Fleece for hats or you can use a pair of gloves
  • Ribbon (to tie hats/gloves)

 This is something we have not done in the past and will be doing it for the first time this year...Cookies in a Jar.

Here is what you will need if you are making these
  • Mason jar - quart or pint sized
  • Fabric to cover lid 6x6 inch piece for each jar
  • 18 inch piece of ribbon for each jar
  • Printable labels 

I originally found the recipe and a printable tag HERE. The recipe is for a quart sized jar and I only had pint size jar so I cut the recipe in half and put it in a pint sized jar.

Here is the recipe for the quart sized jar
    • 1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
      1 teaspoon baking powder
      1 teaspoon baking soda
      1/4 teaspoon salt
      1 cup quick oats
      1/2 cup m&ms (I used the Red & Green Christmas ones)
      2/3 cup milk chocolate chips
      1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
      1/2 cup white sugar
Here is the recipe for a pint sized jar
    • 2/3 Cup Flour
    • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
    • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
    • 1/8 tsp. salt
    • 1/2 cup oats
    • 1/2 cup m&m's
    • 1/2 cup chocolate chips
    • 1/4 cup brown sugar
    • 1/4 cup white sugar
Layer the ingredients in the following order:
          First: flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt
  • Second: oats
    Third: m&ms
    Fourth: chocolate chips
    Fifth: brown sugar
    Sixth: white sugar

I also decided to make my own tags, there are 6 different tags and they are sized differently for the two jars. There are 2 inch quart and 2 inch pint and 3 inch quart.  You can glue the front and back together like I did or your can put them on the front and back of the jar. 
 If you are interested in the printable, leave me a comment with your email address or email me. These are for personal use only and may not be sold.



Here is another quick and easy gift idea. Snowman ornament, how cute are these? I LOVE all things snowman. The boys could make one for themselves and one to give away. 


Here is what you will need-

  • Clear glass/plastic ornament
  • Marshmallows, cotton balls, or white pom-poms
  • Black and orange vinyl or paper ( you will need glue to glue the paper on)
  • Hole punch (to punch out the eyes and mouth pieces)
  • Ribbon(for hanger)

And finally I made these travel size tissue wrappers and will put a tag on the back that says "We "tissue" a Merry Christmas and a healthy New Year"  


After making them I decided it would be much faster to design a printable so I did just that. For the snowman I altered THIS free candy bar wrapper printable to work with the tissues. I designed the Santa suit. One with just the front red (to save on ink) the other that is all red.

 I found my tissues in a 6 pack from the dollar store (they are princesses and toy story), so I used those as my template so make sure your packs of tissue are 4 inches tall.


Snowman (if making them out of paper)
·         Base-4”x7” white card stock
·         Carrot shape nose(orange scrap of paper)
·         Scarf-1/4”x7 (color of choice)
·         Scarf “tie” ½”x 3 ½” (color of choice) fold on an angle and fringe ends.
·         Hat-fleece piece 6 ½”x 4” fold up 1/2” wrap around tissue package glue along back tie top with ribbon and fringe.
·         Small piece of ribbon to tie hat.
Snowman (if not making them out of paper)
·         Printable
·         Cutter
·         Same measurements for fleece hat as above.
Santa Suit-(if making them out of paper, if not making them out of paper you just need the printable)
·         Base-4”x 7” red card stock
·         1”x 4” piece of white card stock
·         Belt-1/2”x 6 ½” piece of black card stock

·         Belt buckle- 1”x 1” piece of gold, silver, or gray cardstock. Cut slit ¼” from either side, long enough for black ½” strip to fit in.




Don't forget about Cynthia's candy train she shared I can not get the picture to upload correctly so HERE is a link to a similar one






























No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...