Saturday, November 9, 2013

Blue and Gold Banquet Class for Pow Wow

***WARNING *** This is a super long post, but well worth your time(at least I think it is)

I had the opportunity to teach the Memorable Blue and Gold Banquet class at this years Pow Wow. I was able to teach four-50 minute classes with  25-30 people in each class.

***DISCLAIMER: The information in this post is my opinion and the ideas/tips that have worked well for me in the past. With that said, I am not saying that it is the only way or the right way to plan a blue and gold. If the things in this post do not work for you, then find something that will.


I LOVE planning parties I have planned several parties for my kids over the past many years, and in my opinion the Blue and Gold Banquet is just a big party. I have had many people ask me what the purpose of the Blue and Gold Banquet is, so here is a description taken directly from the BSA's website.

**Most Cub Scouts celebrate Scouting Anniversary Week in February with a "birthday party" called the blue and gold banquet. In nearly all packs, the blue and gold banquet is the highlight of the year. It brings families together for an evening of fun and cheer. It's often the pack meeting for February.
The purpose of the blue and gold banquet is to celebrate the pack's anniversary, thank pack leaders and other adults who have helped the pack, and inspire the leaders, Scouts, and parents. Packs often like to invite former members and other Scouting or community leaders to take part in their blue and gold banquet.
The banquet can be like a regular pack meeting, with songs, skits, stunts, and awards. Or it can be something different and a little more special. Your pack may decide to bring in an entertainer such as a magician or a storyteller. Or you could have a video or slide show of what the pack did over the past year.
A good banquet needs lots of planning. Most packs begin to plan at least two months ahead of time. (Source)


Before I share pictures, I wanted to share a few things that I shared in my class:
           
Basics
  • Planning is the key in carrying out a Memorable blue and gold- don’t wait until the last minute to start planning. My suggestion; if you haven't started planning by now I would start.
  • Pick a theme you don't have to pick a theme, but it makes it easier to plan.
  •  Make an outline/list (this is how I plan ALL of my kids' birthday parties, class parties, and our blue and gold banquets). Below is the outline that I use, if you would like the word document send me an email. 

  • Decide if you are inviting the boys and parents or boys and immediate family.
  • Recognize your leaders with a small gift or any awards they have earned. 
Decorations-
  •      Make things different heights. Use books or boxes under the table cloth to give dimension to your table.
  •      Know which type of table you are using; long tables, or round tables. Knowing this will help to determine the size of your centerpieces. Make sure they are not too big or too small. 
    •      if your centerpieces are on the smaller side add a few more objects 
    •     go bigger around not up. You want to still be able to see the people across from you at the table
    •     If you are using printables in your centerpiece make them double sided, so one side of the table is not staring at a blank piece of paper and a stick.
  • Don't buy fancy containers(unless you want to and have the budget) use containers you already have, use empty cans wrapped in paper or fabric. No. 10 cans are a great size. Check with your schools and hospitals around you to see if they will save them for you. Or use empty boxes that are spray painted or covered in paper. 
Table settings-
  • Don't be afraid to change the names of your foods to match your themes, for example if you are doing a space theme and having hamburgers and hot dogs, you could rename them space shuttles and flying saucers.
  • Add a simple label to your water bottles, or some clip art to your cups to dress them up and tie them into your theme.
  • Use simple paper place mats like THESE and add your theme with pictures. 
Activity- 
  • Make sure it is age appropriate and not too long 10-15 minutes is usually the right amount of time.
  • Consider doing a rotation. These work great and you can get more activity time while keeping the boys engaged. 
Now onto the fun part of planning a blue and gold...The pictures. I presented 5 themes in my class, but there are hundreds of themes you could do if you  need more ideas Google party ideas. 
 Pirate theme- See the cans covered in paper, so cute and so simple, The small box was covered in paper. You can also so an example of the paper place mat I mentioned, and the label on the water bottle.

The invitation was made for a birthday party for one of my kids a few years ago using a pattern from HERE. This would be something the boys could help with either cutting it out or embellishing it or both.
 The next theme is a Western theme and in my opinion is by far one of the easiest themes to work with. Notice the simple yet cute clothes pins attached to the table cloth.
here is a close up. I got this idea from a friend of mine. Who is amazing at planning/decorating for blue and gold banquets.

Think outside the box for your "plates" here I used a pie tin. And for the cup I used a mason jar (which is so popular right now) I however did not buy the expensive lids they sell.
Here is a quick way to make your own

  •  Use the plastic lids from drink cups from the gas station or fast food restaurants trace your lid (not the screw on one) from the mason jar onto the plastic lid and cut out. 
  • You will also need to trace the lid shape onto a piece of scrapbook paper. 
  • Place plastic lid and paper circle onto your mason jar, and screw on band. 
  • use an xacto knife to cut the x shape into the paper for the straw
  • add straw and enjoy

Here is the invitation I made up for this theme. I make all of my invitations in photoshop and have them printed at Costco.

 Next is a space theme.

 On the right you can see an example of using a box that was spray painted as a center piece. Also an example of adding clip art to the cup.

For the place setting I went to the local hardware store and picked up a bunch of blue and yellow paint chips, took them home and sewed them into a pocket. I then added some clip art. We placed the silverware and napkin in each pocket.


The Subway art I made using photoshop, to the left of the subway art is a Styrofoam block spray painted and then mini star foiled garland was poked in around it and then placed on a box that was spray painted.

To the left of that is an example of using containers you already have. One is a vase with a silver paper rolled up and placed inside then embellished with ribbon and more foil garland.

 Here is a close up of the invitations I made.
This is the inside.


 The next theme was a generic theme, using the blue and gold(yellow) colors and scout related things.
The Subway art I made using photoshop again, then took it and shrunk it down and used it as an invitation.

Use boxes wrapped up as presents, it is a birthday party after all.

I used cans covered in paper then found each of the rank symbols and printed 2 of each of them out (to make them double sided). I then put them on skewer sticks placed a foam block in the can, and added tissue paper to cover everything up.  When printing clip art on a larger scale search for high resolution images.

You could also use the vase with the paper inside to put your  images in.
The last theme I presented is one still a work in progress as it is the theme we are using at our Blue and Gold this February. This is what I have planned so far though. 

I am not exactly sure of what I am calling this theme, but we are having a company come with 12 animals and they do a hands on interactive show with the kids. 

I will use strips of burlap in the center of the table instead of the fabric that is there now. 

For the silver pail I printed made and printed out 4 inch squares and backed them with card stock then put them on skewers. I got moss from the dollar store to fill the bucket and spread around on the table. 

On the right- I used a glass jar and filled it with rocks(from the dollar store) and a fake plant, that I made using some long wispy thing I found also from the  dollar store.(I cut it to the length I wanted and put a rubber band around the bottom to keep it all together, I have enough of the thing to make a bunch of "fake plants") 

On the left- I filled plastic jar with plastic bugs and reptiles and added the same square I used in the bucket but about half the size. I plan on spray painting the lid either black or an army green, then gluing a plastic frog on the top.

The live animal box is a mini gable box that will double as a decoration and something fun the kids can take home. I made them using photoshop, then printed out and assembled. I plan to fill them with candy and some plastic bugs/insects/reptiles. 




Here is the invitation I made using photoshop. 


I hope this post helps you in planning your blue and gold banquet. If you have any questions or would like to use anything I have made please leave me a comment with your email address or email me. 

For personal use only, please do not sell or alter in any way. If you use please link back to my original post. Also please send all your friends here if they would like to use anything I have made. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...